Search entire site
This page contains information for general practitioners on how to refer patients aged 16 years and over to Endocrine services at Mater Hospital Brisbane.
Due to high demand, in general we do not accept referrals for the following conditions, which are considered to be appropriate for GP care alone:
Please note: All women who are currently pregnant should be referred to the Obstetric Medicine Clinic and not to our department.
Patients with nodular thyroid disease but normal thyroid function are best referred directly to the Breast and Endocrine Surgical OPD. Consider a fine needle aspiration biopsy where appropriate prior to referral to the surgeons.
Please include all of the minimum referral requirements and:
Please include the triage assessment form with your referral form or referral letter.
Mater Adult Referral Form
Referrals can be faxed to 07 3163 1543.
Available appointments are provided to our patients based on clinical priority.
Examples only (not a complete list of referrals accepted).
This should be used as a general guideline only – categorisation will be based on the individual referral.
- Severe thyrotoxicosis
- Cortisol deficiency – primary (adrenal) or secondary (pituitary)
- Severe hypercalcaemia (Serum calcium >3.0 mmol/L)
- Large pituitary tumour with or without visual compromise
- Functional pituitary tumours (e.g. Cushing’s disease, acromegaly or prolactinoma)
- Suspected phaeochromocytoma or other functional adrenal mass
- Adrenal mass >4cm – functional or non-functional
- Neuroendocrine tumour e.g. insulinoma
- Mild-moderate thyrotoxicosis
- Pituitary microadenomas
- Adrenal masses <4cm
- Mild-moderate hypercalcaemia e.g. <3 mmol/L
- Patient with known multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome for follow-up
- Antenatal counseling with underlying endocrine disorder
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Subclinical thyrotoxicosis
Mater endeavours to see all priority patients within 30 days from GP referral
Mater endeavours to see all semi urgent patients within 3 months from GP referral
Mater endeavours to see all routine referrals within 12 months from GP referral
Mater Health Services offers patients the opportunity to attend bulk billed clinics. To provide your patient with the opportunity to attend a bulk billed specialist clinic, please provide a named referral to one of our specialists listed above.
If you wish to discuss a referral with a medical or nursing officer from this specialty, please contact the Queensland Diabetes Centre on 07 3163 2500. Alternatively, contact the Clinical Nurse – Business Referral Centre on 07 3163 6866.
Content reviewed 23/12/15
Back to top
© Mater Misericordiae Health Services Brisbane Limited ABN: 83096708922
Providing local communities with access to integrated health care & services.
GP Education, Maternity Shared Care Alignment Program and Events.
GP Education Wonderland Conference - 10 - 11 June
© Mater Misericordiae Ltd
Mercy, Dignity, Care, Commitment & Quality
Emergencies & Enquiries
Phone: 07 3163 8111
Hospitals and Department contacts