Search entire site
This page contains information for general practitioners on how to refer patients aged 16 years and over to Ophthalmology services at Mater Hospital Brisbane.
Mater Hospital Brisbane does not have the facility to accept referrals for laser refractive surgery for cornea.
Please include all of the minimum referral requirements and:
Please note: Due to a high demand for this service, specialists at Mater Ophthalmology department encourage and recommend utilising the services of optometrists prior to referral. Recent optometry reports support our ability to triage and categorise appropriately.
Mater Adult Referral Form
Referrals can be faxed to 07 3163 8548.
Available appointments are provided to our patients based on clinical priority.
Examples only (not a complete list of referrals accepted). This should be used as a general guideline only – categorisation will be based on the individual referral.
- Neurological conditions threatening permanent damage if treatment is likely to be delayed
- Diabetic conditions with sudden or severe loss of vision e.g. Retinopathy
- Progressive / invasive cancers e.g. Intraocular malignancy
- Wet macular degeneration
- Retinal detachment or suspected retinal tear/detachment
- Low-grade non-progressive neoplasms e.g. benign tumours
- Moderately progressive diabetic conditions e.g. Maculopathy
- Orbital disease e.g. thyroid eye disease
- Glaucoma (chronic)
- Chronic impairment of vision e.g. dry macular degeneration, cataracts.
- Chronic non sight threatening conditions e.g. pterygium, ectropion
- Second eye cataract
- Cataracts in either eye with best corrected Snellen visual acuity of 6/12 or better
Mater endeavours to see all priority patients within 30 days from GP referral
Mater endeavours to see all semi urgent patients within 3 months from GP referral
Mater endeavours to see all routine referrals within 12 months from GP referral
Your patient may want to consider a referral to a private specialist.
Mater Health Services offers patients the opportunity to attend bulk billed clinics. To provide your patient with the opportunity to attend a bulk billed specialist clinic, please provide a named referral to one of our specialists listed above.
If you wish to discuss a referral with a medical officer from this specialty, please contact 07 3163 8784 and ask to speak with a registrar or clinical nurse from Eye Clinic.
Alternatively, contact the Clinical Nurse – Referral and Appointment Management Service on 07 3163 6866.
Content reviewed 23/12/15
Have you read our disclaimer?
© Mater Misericordiae Health Services Brisbane Limited ABN: 83096708922
Providing local communities with access to integrated health care & services.
GP Education, Maternity Shared Care Alignment Program and Events.
GP Education Wonderland Conference - 10 - 11 June
© Mater Misericordiae Ltd
Mercy, Dignity, Care, Commitment & Quality
Emergencies & Enquiries
Phone: 07 3163 8111
Hospitals and Department contacts