Search entire site
This page contains information for general practitioners on how to refer patients aged 16 years and over to ENT services at Mater Hospital Brisbane.
This service includes referrals for:
Please include all of the minimum referral requirements and:-
- Cancer or lump in neck > 4 weeks – initially CT with contrast or USS of neck +/- FNA, - routine bloods (FBC and film, ESR, U&Es)
- Nasal fracture with cosmetic displacement – request appointment within 5-7 days after injury to allow for surgery within 14 days, if required
- Head and neck cancer – FNAC for histology
- Barium swallow if symptoms indicate significant stenotic lesion
- Thyroid – TFTs, U/S +/-FNA, FBC, Ca+
- Sinus conditions – CT scan sinuses (films with patients)
Mater Adult Referral Form - referrals can be faxed to 07 3163 8548.
- For hearing loss, please send your referral direct to Audiology.
Audiology Referral Form - referrals can be faxed to 07 3163 2267.
- Referrals to Audiology will not result in any patient being referred onto the ENT Department.
- Separate GP referrals are required for each department. When a patient has ear/hearing related concerns, a referral should be sent to Audiology in the first instance to obtain additional information.
- If audiology identifies the need for an Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) consultation, a recommendation will be made in the audiology report to a patient's General Practitioner.
- Please contact the Mater Cochlear Implant Clinic directly for details of the Adult Cochlear Implant anticipated waiting times and assessment process.
Available appointments are provided to our patients based on clinical priority.
This should be used as a general guideline only – categorisation will be based on the individual referral.
- Sudden hearing loss
- Suspected Malignancy
- Sudden Facial Palsy
- Otitis Externa
- Unilateral Tinnitus
- Recurrent Vertigo and Hearing Loss
- Benign Neoplasm in head or neck
- Dysphagia with weight loss
- Voice Change
- Bilateral Tinnitus
- Symmetrical Hearing Loss
- Nasal Obstruction
- Allergic Rhinitis
- Recurrent Tonsillitis
- Recurrent Sinusitis
Mater endeavours to see all priority patients within 30 days from GP referral
Mater endeavours to see all semi urgent patients within 3 months from GP referral
Mater endeavours to see all routine referrals within 12 months from GP referral
Send referrals to Audiology and the ENT Department in the first instance.
Examples only (not a complete list of referrals accepted). This should be used as a general guideline only – categorisation will be based on the individual referral.
*Your patient may want to consider a referral to a private specialist.
Mater Health Services offers patients the opportunity to attend bulk billed clinics. To provide your patient with the opportunity to attend a bulk billed specialist clinic, please provide a named referral to one of our specialists listed above.
If you wish to discuss a referral with a medical officer from this specialty, please contact 07 3163 8111 and ask to speak with the ENT registrar.
Alternatively, contact the Clinical Nurse – Referral and Appointment Management Service 07 3163 6866.
Content reviewed 23/12/15
Have you read our disclaimer?
© Mater Misericordiae Health Services Brisbane Limited ABN: 83096708922
Providing local communities with access to integrated health care & services.
GP Education, Maternity Shared Care Alignment Program and Events.
South Brisbane GP Education Evening - 7 February
© Mater Misericordiae Ltd
Mercy, Dignity, Care, Commitment & Quality
Emergencies & Enquiries
Phone: 07 3163 8111
Hospitals and Department contacts