Search entire site
This page contains information for general practitioners on how to refer patients aged 16 and over to Palliative Care services at Mater Hospital Brisbane.
Provides management for patients with active, progressive, life-limiting disease for whom the prognosis is limited and the focus of care is the quality of life.
Provides consultation for patients with cancer and non-cancer diagnoses that fit the above criteria.
* Metro South Palliative Care: www.health.qld.gov.au/metrosouth/specialty/palliative-care.asp
* St Vincents: http://svphb.org.au/health-professionals/our-specialists/palliative-medicine/
* Palliative Care Helpline: www.palliativecarehelpline.org.au
* Karuna Hospice Services: www.karuna.org.au/contact
* Centre for Palliative Care Research and Education: www.health.qld.gov.au/cpcre
Please include all of the minimum referral requirements and:
Please triage the urgency for this patient according to the following categories:
- urgent – to be seen within 7 days
- routine – to be seen within 14 days
Mater Adult Referral Form
Referrals can be faxed to 07 3163 8856.
Available appointments are provided to our patients based on clinical priority.
Examples only (not a complete list or referrals accepted). This should be used as a general guideline only – categorisation will be based on the individual referral.
- Uncontrolled symptoms
- End of life issues causing significant patient/carer distress
- Asymptomatic patients
- Future care planning
Mater Health Services offers patients the opportunity to attend bulk billed clinics. To provide your patient with the opportunity to attend a bulk billed specialist clinic, please provide a named referral to one of our specialists listed above.
If you wish to discuss a referral with a medical officer from this specialty, please contact 07 3163 8111 and ask to speak with the palliative care consultant on call.
Alternatively, contact the Clinical Nurse Consultant for Palliative Care on 07 3163 8074.
Content reviewed 23/12/15
Have you read our disclaimer?
© Mater Misericordiae Health Services Brisbane Limited ABN: 83096708922
Providing local communities with access to integrated health care & services.
GP Education, Maternity Shared Care Alignment Program and Events.
GP Education Wonderland Conference - 10 - 11 June
© Mater Misericordiae Ltd
Mercy, Dignity, Care, Commitment & Quality
Emergencies & Enquiries
Phone: 07 3163 8111
Hospitals and Department contacts