Search entire site
For patients transitioning from paediatric to young adult care
The Mater Young Adult Diabetes Transition Clinics are for patients aged between 16 and 18 years of age. The purpose of the clinics is to support the smooth transition of diabetes care from LCCH and or other paediatric healthcare providers to the Mater Young Adult Health Centre. The Mater Young Adult Diabetes service offers two initial transition clinics:
Following the initial transition clinic appointment the patient will then be offered ongoing care within the Young Adult Diabetes Clinic which is a multi-disciplinary team offering comprehensive care for young people with diabetes.
If you would like your patient to access the Mater Young Adult Diabetes service please provide the following information set out in our referral criteria.
Please include all of the minimum referral requirements and the following information relevant to the patient you are referring.
If available, please also include the following information:
Patients should be referred using the Mater Hospital Brisbane Outpatient Clinic Referral Form and can be faxed to 07 3163 1543.
(medical led clinic)
(diabetes nurse led educator clinic)
- Diagnosis of type 1 diabetes within last 12 months
- HbA1C >9%
- identification of complications: micro or macro vascular
- multiple co-morbidities, e.g. cystic fibrosis, obesity, diagnosed eating disorder
- disordered eating
- confirmed diagnosis of a mental health condition
- hypoglycaemia unawareness
- recent hospitalisation for DKA
- planned or unplanned pregnancy
- diagnosis of co-existing disease/s
- HbA1c <9%
- adequate diabetes self-management capacity and actively participating in regular health care
- previous regular attendance in Paediatric diabetes care
- family/social support
- minimal diabetes related hospital admissions in the previous 12 months
There are important principles in the effective transition of young people from paediatric to adult care which include:
Mater Young Adult Services offers patients the opportunity to attend bulk billed clinics. To provide your patient with the opportunity to attend a bulk billed specialist clinic, please provide a named referral to one of our specialists listed above.
If you wish to discuss a referral with a medical officer from this specialty, please contact the Mater Young Adult Diabetes Service on 07 3163 2500.
Have you read our disclaimer?
Providing local communities with access to integrated health care & services.
GP Education, Maternity Shared Care Alignment Program and Events.
GP Education Wonderland Conference - 10 - 11 June
© Mater Misericordiae Ltd
Mercy, Dignity, Care, Commitment & Quality
Emergencies & Enquiries
Phone: 07 3163 8111
Hospitals and Department contacts